You may have heard of pH Balance and wondered what all the hype was about. The body’s pH balance has a great impact on your overall health. PH stands for “power of hydrogen”, which is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in the body. The total pH scale ranges from 1 to 14, with 7 considered to be neutral. A pH less than 7 is said to be acidic and a pH greater than 7 are alkaline. The ideal pH for the body is slightly alkaline, between 7.3-7.45.
The body will usually regulate this naturally, but at times we may need help if our body is compromised by poor diet or excessive stress. There are many holistic care options for treating the body’s pH balance, here are a few different methods to start getting your body’s pH balance on track.
Begin By Testing Your Body’s pH Balance
You can begin by seeing what your own body’s pH Balance is by using a testing strip with both saliva and urine samples. Using a test strip should be done 60 minutes before eating a meal and again 2 hours after eating to give a more accurate range of your body’s pH levels. Testing a few times in a week will provide more accurate results as well.
- Testing the pH of your urine for a healthy range should be between 6.0 and 6.5 in the morning, and between 6.5 and 7.0 when you test in the evening. If the pH is not within these ranges, it may show that your body is having trouble removing acids and maintaining optimal amounts of minerals meant to protect over-acidity of the body. You can improve your urine’s pH by taking supplements of sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
- Testing the pH of your saliva should show a pH level between 6.5-7.5 at all times. This will also show digestive enzyme activity in the body. Be sure to cleanse your mouth as well as wait two hours after eating or drinking so that food matter will alter results.
Change Your Diet
One of the most convenient and effective ways to reduce the body’s level of acidity is to hydrate first thing in the morning and throughout the day with an alkalizing drink. Lemon juice added to water provides alkaline minerals and bicarbonate precursors in the form of citric acid.
Certain food groups are also crucial to controlling pH balance in the body and are considered acidic, alkaline or neutral. It is good to change your diet to include more alkaline foods than acidic foods.
Here are a few examples of differing food groups and their pH levels:
- Acidic: Meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, grains, and alcohol.
- Neutral: Natural fats, starches, and sugars.
- Alkaline: Fruits, nuts, legumes and vegetables.
Alkaline foods include green juice, vegetable juice, fruit juice, garlic, berries, oranges, bananas, figs, kale, pumpkins, squash, peas, green tea, and most other fruits and vegetables. However, avoid processed fruit juice and some fruits that are quite acidic, e.g. cranberries, plums, rhubarb, blackberries, and prunes. Great alkaline protein sources include almonds, but avoid most meats and dairy for their high acidity.
Check Your Medications
Certain medications can cause your pH balance to be acidic. If you are not sure, speak to your doctor. If the medication is necessary and you cannot avoid it, you may help combat the acidic pH by eating more alkaline foods.
Monitor Your Stress Level
If you made dietary changes and included less acidic foods in your diet and still notice a high acid pH balance, stress could be the culprit. Stress does things to your body that you may not be aware of, including altering your pH balance.
Reduce stress by incorporating meditation, yoga, or Tai Chi into a daily routine. Other holistic care treatments such as acupuncture, and stress reduction techniques will be helpful in reducing stress and acidity.
Benefits You Can See!
Having optimal pH balance of the body will be noticeable. Health benefits include neutralizing free radicals, reduced sick days, stronger bones and teeth, reduced inflammation, and increased energy levels.
Chiropractors and acupuncturists are available at Relax Holistic to address any dietary concerns you may have and help you with holistic care options for balancing your body’s pH levels. They can help and are knowledgeable in health regimens, diet, nutrition, and exercise!